Sunday, December 30, 2007

St James Walkway - Day 2

Day 2 began with an early wake as the birds were singing in the nearby trees and the sun was shining through the window. We slowly got up and headed for the table to have some breakfast. The group of women were busy getting things together ready for their day drip up the valley towards Three Tarn Pass (better them than us!). We finally got everything put away and struggling to get everything back in the pack, why does nothing go back in the way you first had it? Anyway, with a few small things offloaded to Emma I got everything to fit and it was off we went. Today started off in the dense forests with an occasional glimpse down the valley and a look up at the stunning peaks of Gloriana and Faerie Queene. We stopped about 10am for the usual scroggin stop on a log that had fallen over the track. We were just behind a couple that had decided to bivvy ahead of the hut and the family from Greymouth were probably a wee way behind now, we got moving again and continued to weave in and out of the forest with gorgeous views up the Ada river. We ever got to see some wild horses on the opposite bank which was cool (fingers crossed we see some more up close). The day was stunning with hardly a cloud in the sky, we were baking and looking forward to a lunch break, we decided to stop at the old Christopher Cullers hut for some lunch (and managed to catch the other two there). We sat around in the shade at the old cullers hut for a while before painfully beginning to move again, a short walk of 30min or so and we could see Christopher hut staring at us in the vast flats, oh how good that looked!. We arrived at the hut, took our laden packs off and slipped into some jandals. Signed the hut book and headed for the river to have a wash. The river was so cold on the legs, but you did get used to it, however the cold water on your head and pretty much the rest of your body was numbing, thankfully it was still scorching outside. Feeling refreshed we headed back to the hut and spent the afternoon playing uno and trying our luck at sudoku's. The family of three arrived late afternoon (probably a good 3-4 hours after us) so the night was spent talking and playing cards until we all hit the sack at some early hour (we deserved it!)

No comments: